Sunday, April 19, 2009

Never will I ever...


  • Complain about cold showers. If the water falls, I’m happy.
  • Complain about the taste of tap water. It’s gotta be cleaner than what I get from the JoJo.
  • Complain about road conditions in America. If it’s tar and is moderately pot hole free, it’s perfect.
  • Say there’s nothing to do in Houston. Ok, Dad, I learned my lesson.
  • Take pizza delivery (or Domino’s Pizza Tracker where you actually know what’s going on with your pizza. It’s brilliant!) for granted. I’m going to hug the next pizza delivery guy that comes to my door, “Thank you, pizza gods. Thank you.”
  • Underestimate how nice it feels to walk into a bar and say, “Blue Moon please, in a bottle” and have it be ok with the bartender, the people around me, and my mother (who I’ll tell the story to later).
  • Take for granted that my boyfriend doesn’t cheat on me, that my dad doesn’t cheat on my mum, that my uncles don’t cheat on my aunts, or that my brothers don’t cheat on their girlfriends, Etcetera, etcetera.
  • Be picky about an apartment. “Oh my god, babe, look! It has a flush toilet and a shower with hot water! We’ll take it!” My boyfriend will have to go apartment shopping alone when I get back.
  • Washing machines and dishwashers. Need I say more?
  • Think to myself that my 2002 Mazda Protégé is old and needs replacing. My host family in Seabe has one car that required my host father to pour water and knock things around in the engine before trying about 30 times to start it before it groaned to life. Yesterday at the garage (aka, gas station) I saw some men pushing a car back and forth to get it started after filling it up with petrol. After a few tries it started, everyone jumped in and they were off. Oh, how I miss you, car. I will never call you old again!
  • Say, “This is the most disgusting toilet I’ve ever seen!”
  • Think that the line at the customer service in Verizon is too long. I had issues with my phone the other day and almost cried because I couldn’t think of anybody I could take it to who would fix it.
  • Say there’s never anything on television. I have four TV stations which are usually pretty fuzzy and come through as black and white. But, I’m grateful and can always find something to watch when the need arises.
  • Roll my eyes when someone suggests pizza/Chinese/hamburgers/Mexican for the second night in a row.
  • Think the police department or government in America sucks. Ok, it doesn’t. Thanks, South Africa for teaching me.
  • Underestimate how nice it is to have a nightlife that doesn’t include pajamas and my bed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh Roze, HYSterical! I was having such a bad morning and I laughed so much at these! (Mostly b/c I agree w/ all of them - esp the toilet one, yuck!) Thank you for making my day. Oh how I miss your funny! I hope you're well in Pankopf. Casey : )

    ReplyDelete