Sunday, April 5, 2009

My experience: By the numbers.

(Editor's Note: This blog was created on March 29, 2009)


Training is almost over. I can’t believe it. I remember sitting in my bedroom a month and a half ago having a near breakdown thinking that I would never see this day. Now that it’s here, I feel like it wasn’t so bad.

So, this is where the statistics stand after two months:

0- The number of trainees that have quit so far. I believe we are the only training class in the history of Peace Corps South Africa to not have anyone quit during training. We’re quite proud of this fact. We have one week left, but I feel pretty positive about maintaining this title.

1- The number of electronics I’ve killed thus far. I killed my MP3 player by dropping it into my laundry tub. Ok, oops. I really blame Victoria Secret for this one because….well, just because.

567- The number of men that have proposed marriage to me on the street.

567- The number of marriage proposals that I have turned down.

567- The number of marriage proposals that were revoked because I don’t know how to make (and don’t like to eat) pap. Sorry, guys. I like food that has flavor.

15- The number of minutes it took to get me completely addicted to Generations.

150-The number of primary school kids that laugh at me when I tell them my African name is Dineo Mashaba just like the evil character on Generations.

8- The number of letters I’ve written and sent off to America.

3- The number of roosters outside my window at 3 a.m. every morning making tons of noise.

5,897- The number of times I considered going home.

5,898- The number of times I convinced myself to staying.

58- The number of bucket baths I’ve taken since getting to South Africa.

4- The number of (very memorable) showers I’ve had since getting to South Africa.

12- The average number of times my host father says the word “nice” to me a day.

7- The number of books I’ve read since arriving.

3- Then number of dinners I’ve had that have included some really weird pieces of chicken and/or sheep, which are the times I had chicken neck, chicken feet and liver (in the same meal!) and that one time we had what I think was sheep stomach, which smelled so bad I did the worse thing I could possibly do and said no, thanks.

2- The number of funerals I’ve attended.

1- The number of weddings I’ve attended.

I know there are tons more numbers I can give you. My time in South Africa has been filled with many incidents of blog-worthy events. Unfortunately, I think it’s a little much to write a blog everyday, especially since I can hardly find a good internet connection. Hopefully at site I’ll be able to write more often, especially since I’ll (hopefully) be spending more time alone.

Tomorrow we get our results from our language interview, Tuesday we go to Pretoria to shop, Wednesday is an all-day policy “This will get you kicked out of Peace Corps” talk, then Thursday is our swearing-in ceremony and then…off to site. It’s going to be an interesting week.

No comments:

Post a Comment